Seven tips to start running again
1 Set a goal
What’s your goal? Do you want to run a marathon? Or do you want to lose weight? Or maybe you just want to chill out after a long and stressful day at work? It is also important to set goals and a time line to achieve them.
2 Dress properly
Even if it’s cold outside, you’ll warm up once in motion. Golden rule: Dress as if it was 20 degrees warmer.
3 Heart rate monitor
Buy a heart rate monitor. Heart rate is the most objective index of effort.
4 Find a buddy
If you want to be sure to stick to your training routine, find a partner who will go running with. Your’re accountable to each other for performing your daily or weekly exercises, so you can motivate each other when you’re not motivated or tired.
5 Record your progress
Log the kilometers you run, time measurements and you overall progress, and aptitudes.
Writing about your progress, will help you to celebrate your achievements and to keep alive your goals. After succesfully completing a training session, always remember log your progress in your “workout diary”.
6 Lose weight
If weight loss is your goal, do not be surprised if you gain a few pounds after a couple weeks of serious training. You should start losing weight after that initial point, provided you do not increase your increase their intake of fatty foods.
7 Develop a training routine
This might me a good training routine for a beginner
- First Week: 3 x 15 minutes – 2 minutes of running and 1 minutes of walking, alternating
- Second Week: 3 x 18 minutes – 4 minutes of running and 2 minuts of walking, alternating
- Third Week: 3 x 20 minutes, while 4 minutes running and 1 minute of walking, alternating
- Fourth Week: 3 x 24 minutes – 5 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking, alternating
- Fifth Week: 3 x 28 minutes – 6 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking, alternating
- Sixth Week: 3 x 32 minutes – 7 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking, alternating
- Seventh Week: 3 x 30 minutes – 9 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking, alternating
- Eighth Week: 3 x 33 minutes, 10 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking, alternating